[NAFEX] Inventory

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Mon Jan 6 14:12:41 EST 2003

At 09:10 AM 1/3/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Do you have or know of any pecans that will survive and produce in zone 5a
>on naturally small trees? I'd love to grow a couple of pecans, but don't
>have room for 30+ foot trees.

Some of the 'ultra-northern' pecan selections will survive, and probably
produce in some zone 5 areas, but unless you're willing to keep them pruned
hard, or perhaps try some 'tricks', like bark inversion, etc., it's going
to be hard to keep a pecan under 30 ft.
I'm not aware of any genetic dwarf pecans, but there could conceivably be
one.  I've heard of "Chetopa" shagbark hickory, which is supposedly a
genetic dwarf(not to be confused with the 'Chetopa' pecan).

Check out the NNGA Marketplace page at the NNGA website -
www.northernnutgrowers.org - several members have their online catalogs
linked there, and also check out John Gordon's online catalog & website -
www.geocities.com/nuttreegordon

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY