[NAFEX] multiple apple cultivars on one tree?

list at ginda.us list at ginda.us
Wed Apr 16 22:38:29 EDT 2003

I grafted a bunch of varieties onto two crab apples.  One of them had
some leaves that were oddly shaped after that.  It may have had them
before I grafted for all I know - I hadn't looked at it too closely.
But I did worry if I might have given it a virus.  Two years ago we had
a serious summer drought, and that tree nearly died.  It finished dying
last year (in more dry weather, although I watered it.)  The other crab
did fine, and I haven't seen any other dead or dying apples around
town.  So I think it's likely that something from the multiple grafts
weakened the crab.   Whether that was a virus, or some kind of
incompatibility, or just that there were "holes" in its skin where the
grafts hadn't fully healed, I couldn't say.  I do know that if I'd just
pruned it and not put on the extra wood, it would have been minor
pruning.  (That is, I didn't chop off much of the tree to graft it.)

I was very careful to graft each type of scion onto only one of the two
crabs, and to wash all my tools carefully between trees.  So a virus
transmitted to one would likely have missed the other.

The other crab is looking very happy right now, with 5 different
cultivars grafted to it.  Interestingly, the crab twigs have tiny
leaves showing, and the grafted twigs just have swelling buds.  I don't
know if that's because the crab is naturally earlier or if its because
of some compatibility thing.  But some of the grafts look like they
might flwoer this year, which would be very exciting for me.

Ginda Fisher
eastern Mass., zone 6
where everything is in full swollen bud after 2 very warm days.  The
buds will sit for a while, though, as we're supposed to get very cold
weather, and possibly even snow, tomorrow.