[NAFEX] gooseberry question

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Tue Apr 15 23:23:32 EDT 2003

There are a number of "spiny" gooseberry cultivars.  Invicta, I believe is a
common one.  The British usually classify the spiny types as "cookers" being
just for pies or preserves, as opposed to ones that can be eaten fresh.  The
spiny types are usually picked at the firm stage when they still have a fair
amount of tartness, both for flavor after being cooked and for firmness.

From: Judith Miller <paradisegds at yahoo.com>

Can anyone tell me what fruit might be masquerading as a gooseberry?  I got
a box of fruit from a friend last summer that she called gooseberries. The
fruit, though large, translucent, gold & hairy-spiny, was insipid and very
seedy.

There's one I know- Early Sulfur? (that may be the name)- is yellow and has
stiff hairs. I wouldn't call it large, though it's bigger by far than
Pixwell. If fully ripe, like many gooseberries, it's a bit bland. It's
early, bears well and is healthy, and good for cooking if not too ripe. I
eat them fresh at the full (over?) ripe stage.

-Rick