[NAFEX] Spencer apples

list at ginda.us list at ginda.us
Sat Apr 5 20:31:33 EST 2003

I bought a bunch of Spencer apples from a u-pick place in Spencer Mass.
  I was very surprised to hear the apple was actually developed
elsewhere.   The trees looked healthy, and the fruit was cosmetically
perfect, except that some of them had a dark line running from pole to
pole, which looked like it might have been from damage to the young
fruit.  The defect didn't affect the flesh.  I have no idea how much
work went into that perfect fruit, though.  Most of the other fruit
looked good, as well.  (That orchard produced the best Macouns I've
ever had - incredible sugar levels, large, gorgeous, and with that
famous crunch.)

I thought the flavor of Spencer wasn't as rich as a golden delicious
can be, but was more tart, and was pleasant in an ordinary apple-y way.
  This isn't an apple whose flavor you'd write home about, but it's one
you could eat a lot of.  The texture was similar to a good golden
delicious, maybe a little softer and crunchier.  I didn't keep them
long enough to notice their keeping quality, but they did make an
excellent pie, and a pleasant sauce.  They were rather large.

Ginda Fisher