[nafex] Palms/Rush

Joe and Ellen Hecksel jhecksel at voyager.net
Tue Mar 26 18:07:56 EST 2002

Getting back to NAFEX business:

I think rushes can be an important "last nutrient filter" for farm
operations.  Many places have a drainage ditch next to them.  Nutrients,
nitrogen in particular, leach out of the soil and are gone.  At their
worst, they contribute to the early death of inland lakes.

I know of at least one gardener who cuts marsh grass (Reed Canary Grass,
in this case) and uses it for mulch.  The patch he cuts for mulch is
about as big as his garden.  Pretty efficient way of fighting entropy
and gravity.  I don't know what kind of mower he uses but it is not the
standard rotary mower as it would bog down and shred the material too
finely to pick up easily.  He hauls it all of 50 yards (50 meters).

HDessureault wrote:

> Hi Joe,
> I checked the site you are referring to on Phragmites (very interesting) and
> it led me to consult on the plant that I was referring to.
> The plant that I found in the ditch is not a phragmite but a rush of some
> kind, as in bullrush, or rush basket. The leaves were very long and flat and
> started from the base of the plant. Dried, it was pale grey green, flexible
> but strong. It was cut in July by the road crew and contained no discernible
> flower or fruit or main stalk which might have been forthcoming.
> Hélène, zone 3-4
> Where winter seems to be just starting.

-Joe Hecksel
My personal website: http://my.voyager.net/~jhecksel