[NAFEX] caterpillars/solo sprayer

del stubbs pinewoodel at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 22 07:32:45 EDT 2002

>Del, Did you get a backsprayer?

Yes, diaphram type

>We have some tent caterpillars on the wild cherries (central Maryland) when
>they leaf out each year. Have seen some on my apple trees, but they never
>gain a foothold with me.

25 miles from here they have defoliated aspen forests, not that bad here
yet. Here it is a cycle of something like 12 years between infestations.
A friend was relating one area some years back - where they brought out the
sand trucks,  and the snow plow had the blade down getting the sheet of
moving hordes off the highway - just to make driving safe.  We don't have
that level of infestation.  My principle concern actually this year is new
grafts that  could'nt recover.
I just tried an 'under recommended mix' of 1.5 Tblspoon to gallon of BT
powder and there were still quite a few caterpillars left, so I'd say the
reommendated mix is accurate. Del
Del Stubbs  www.pinewoodforge.com  ag zone2/3