[NAFEX] Oriental persimmon

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Thu Jun 20 09:19:07 EDT 2002

At 10:35 PM 06/18/2002 -0400, Gordon wrote:
>They showed after the rice harvest that they were collecting Oriental
>persimmons of good size. Later they showed snow and freezing weather. The
>water froze.
>  Anyone have an idea what type or variety of persimmons would be there?
> They were picked one at a time. Later they were hung individually to dry.

I'm betting on Hachiya, as well, but there are quite a number of good
D.kaki selections.

I've seen similar shows, detailing the drying of the Asian persimmons -
seems like one I recall showed 'em working with Hachiya, picked with the
stem/calyx still attached, while the fruits were still firm; they peeled
'em and hung 'em to dry.  The finished product was coated with sugar, which
'migrated' out to the surface in the drying process.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY