[NAFEX] plums/grafting

del stubbs pinewoodel at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 5 13:42:37 EDT 2002

Charlie, your plum thicket makes my mouth water!   My plum grafting luck  on
to p. americana has been nearly a zero. For 4 years I have been trying both
spring W&T grafting of dormant scions ( both bench and in the field) , and
late august bud grafting.
So far I have only one that  has grafted successfully...bud graft of
Alderman  on p. americana.     I have been working with pembina, alderman,
and waneta.
On wild chokecherrry I have had fair succss experimenting with W&T graft of
p. maritima, looks like this week I'll get the first blooms of that graft.
On apples - I just bench grafted 47 M26's to about 35 varieties for a
friend's first orchard, and all but two are good, so my technique doesn't
seem too bad, Any advice?  Thanks, Del
Del Stubbs   ag zone2/3
birds and turtles   http://www.PictureTrail.com/del3