[NAFEX] Growing huckleberry/farkleberry from seed?

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Wed Jun 5 10:48:37 EDT 2002

While I was home in AL last week, visiting my parents, I collected some
fruit from a couple of berry bushes growing in the woods there - we always
called 'em "huckleberries" - and I didn't have a plant ID book along with
me, so I don't really know if they're farkleberry/sparkleberry , a
Vaccinium species, or actually a huckleberry, Gaylusaccia species.

Do any of the list members have any tips, encouragement(discouragement) on
attempting to start some seedlings from these plants?
Yeah, I know the fruits are very tiny, and they're not especially
productive, compared to commercial blueberries, but they are tasty.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY