[NAFEX] My new place...finally an orchard

Joe and Ellen Hecksel jhecksel at voyager.net
Wed Jul 3 18:27:27 EDT 2002

Congratulations!

Sounds like you know what you are doing.  The site sounds good, and that
is the one thing that cannot be repaired easily.

Zone 4 cider apples is a pretty thin talent pool.  I will comment where
I feel qualified.  BTW, I am Zone 5 with a 140 day average growing
season according to the closest weather station.  I think my site gives
me three more weeks than that, most years.

Lately I have been gravitating toward apples that ripen October 1.  The
temperatures are cooling rapidly and I can hold the apples in bags on
the north side of the house very easily.  Your early list looks light on
the sharp apples and the later apples look to be heavy on the "sweet"
apples.  Unfortunately, there is almost no demand for sharp apples in
the marketplace so nobody breeds them.  This is a good avenue for some
fruit exploring...a sharp apple that is rock-solid reliable in your
climate and has reasonable disease resistance.

> The site: sloping land, southeast exposure, well-protected by softwood
> forest. Planting will be at about 1300 feet.  No doubt acidic soils
> which I will be liming this summer/fall.
> The orchard: I am looking at planting the following varieties:

Ashmead's Kernel : Grafted on MM106 as a side branch.  Never fruited.

Culled after 6 years.

Chisel Jersey: Literature speaks well of this apple.  Suppposedly an easy grower and reliable fruiter.

Dabinette: Similar to Chisel Jersey, easy grower according to literature

Duchess: Earlier than most of your other choices.  The ones I tasted seemed to be low

soluble solids.

Golden Russett: Supposed to be a nice grower for a triploid.  It has been a dog for

me on M7

Late ripening might be an issue.

Reinette Zabergau: Vulnerable to cracking at my location. Culled.

Roxbury Russett: Good choice for cider base.  Think of it as the canvas you paint

with other flavors.  Slightly more reliable and heavier bearing than
Golden Russet at my location, otherwise similar.

Sweet 16: Tends to biennial bearing.  Low sugar in "on" years.  Control fruiting by thinning

and it is a very good apple.  Tends to be vigorous.

--
-Joe Hecksel
My personal website: http://my.voyager.net/~jhecksel