[nafex] trees not leafing out

Gianni GIANNI-2 at prodigy.net
Tue May 22 11:43:00 EDT 2001

Hi Kevin:

Along the Massachusetts/NH border, near the coastline....
When we had the unusual warm spell back when (early spring), I got out there and sprayed
with a kelp spray.
The peaches went nuts and threw flowers and began setting fruit and then baboom, the cold hit.
Unlike you I didn't have many fall plantings but did get some Bai ming tao or peento/donut peach
(Many thanks to: Mark Garrison) arrive in the tail end of March and had to build a fire over the
nursery bed to warm the ground to get them in, which I did. These are showing the slow growth
and emergence of leaves at a very slow pace and believe overall the weather did affect them.
With the old growth peaches after the spray the peaches never suffered any loss or flower drop
or anything and have fruit and are developing. My grapes well, had I sprayed them I believe they
would not have been frost killed and now sporting die back all over.
Some trees here are showing problems with the cold/warm event and are definitely affected by
the weird weather. And have literally die back along with new growth. looks strange.
It looks on a whole we are set back about 2 weeks for bud/leaf development on deciduous trees
and on a whole the bizarre weather did and is having an effect, almost retarding normal development
for apple, pears the whole gamut. And the weather continues to be unusually cold and is having
a detrimental effect.

Hope this helps...
Best of growing,
~Gianni