[Market-farming] Fingerling potatoes

Joan Vibert joan at windwalker-farm.com
Tue Feb 1 09:07:55 EST 2005

Willie - I'd put those potatoes in a location that you don't have to worry
about diseases getting into the soil.  Several years ago we were too late to
order potatoes from our regular supplier so we bought 600 pounds of organic
potatoes from our food coop - when we started harvesting almost every potato
was covered with scab and was totally unmarketable.  They were grown in soil
that had only been growing soybeans about five or six years earlier so I
don't think the scab was in the soil because other certified seed potatoes
have grown very close to this area without a sign of scab.

Just a thought -

Joan
Windwalker Farm
Ottawa, Kansas