[freetds] Column Lengths 30 characters...

Jacque, Alfred jacqual at navcanada.ca
Mon Jun 8 13:22:51 EDT 2009

Hello,

I have a table in a SQL Server 2005 database where the name of the
column has a length of 30 characters. However, when viewing the table
from my 11g database running on Linux, only the first 29 characters are
displayed and this generates problems when trying to access that table.
>From what I have read, the limitation for column names is 30 characters,
but in this case it appears to be 29 characters. Is there a setting that
can be changed to allow the use of 30 character field names? The column
name in question here is Designated_Point_Longitude_DMS.

Table on SQL Server

 ----------------------------------------- --------
----------------------------
 Designated_Point_Id                       NOT NULL NUMBER(10)
 FIR_Airspace_Id                                    NUMBER(10)
 Dsgntr_Type_Code                          NOT NULL VARCHAR2(5)
 Significant_Point_Position_Id             NOT NULL NUMBER(10)
 Designated_Point_Code                     NOT NULL VARCHAR2(5)
 Designated_Point_Latitude_DMS             NOT NULL VARCHAR2(20)
 Designated_Point_Longitude_DMS             NOT NULL VARCHAR2(20)
 Designated_Point_Name                              VARCHAR2(60)
 ADMS_Record_Id                                     VARCHAR2(20)
 Last_Updated_Date                         NOT NULL DATE
 Effective_Date                            NOT NULL DATE
 Expiry_Date                                        DATE

Table view from Oracle

SQL> desc DESIGNATED_POINT at mssql
 ----------------------------------------- --------
----------------------------
 Designated_Point_Id                       NOT NULL NUMBER(10)
 FIR_Airspace_Id                                    NUMBER(10)
 Dsgntr_Type_Code                          NOT NULL VARCHAR2(5)
 Significant_Point_Position_Id             NOT NULL NUMBER(10)
 Designated_Point_Code                     NOT NULL VARCHAR2(5)
 Designated_Point_Latitude_DMS             NOT NULL VARCHAR2(20)
 Designated_Point_Longitude_DM             NOT NULL VARCHAR2(20)
 Designated_Point_Name                              VARCHAR2(60)
 ADMS_Record_Id                                     VARCHAR2(20)
 Last_Updated_Date                         NOT NULL DATE
 Effective_Date                            NOT NULL DATE
 Expiry_Date                                        DATE

When trying to query the table in Oracle I get the following error
message:

select * from DESIGNATED_POINT at mssql
*
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-28500: connection from ORACLE to a non-Oracle system returned this
message:
[FreeTDS][SQL Server]Statement(s) could not be prepared.[FreeTDS][SQL
Server]Incorrect syntax near
'Designated_Point_Longitude_DM'.[FreeTDS][SQL
Server]Unclosed quotation mark after the character string
'Designated_Point_Longitude_DM'.
ORA-02063: preceding 2 lines from MSSQL

Thanks,
Alfred