[freetds] freetds 0.82 and unixodbc 2.2.14 on a Shared Linux Host

Robert Kenyon rob at digsoldev.net
Wed Apr 29 11:58:20 EDT 2009

Are there any known issues with these release versions when installed
on a shared linux host (no root, must use prefix to build).
The problem I'm running into is that freetds will not find the
unixodbc include files.
unixodbc was configured thusly:
./configure --prefix=$HOME/local/unixodbc --enable-gui=no
and seemed healthy.  $HOME/local/unixodbc has four directories
including include and lib
freetds 0,82 didn't configure so well.
./configure --prefix=$HOME/local/freetds --with-tdsver=8.0
installed and connected to the db fine with tsql but didn't build a
libtdsodbc.so (Understandble as unixodbc was not installed in a normal
place)

So, I went back and tried:

./configure --prefix=$HOME/local/freetds --with-tdsver=8.0
--with-unixodbc=$HOME/local/unixodbc

This seems like it should be right based on all the info I've seen -
although most people have it in the "normal" places - but configure
fails saying it can't find sql.h.

So I tried
./configure --prefix=$HOME/local/freetds --with-tdsver=8.0
--with-odbc_nodm=$HOME/local/unixodbc

and

./configure --prefix=$HOME/local/freetds --with-tdsver=8.0
--with-odbc-nodm=$HOME/local/unixodbc/include

(as there were some recent discussions over what with-odbc-nodm
pointed to on the list)

Both of these fail in the same way - reporting that it cannot find sql.h

It sure seems like it should be working - although all the docs I'm
seeing for unixodbc indicates support for the previous 0.6x release.

Any ideas?

Rob