[freetds] Prepared statements with no parametersexhibit strangebehaviour

ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT Frediano.Ziglio at vodafone.com
Fri Aug 22 04:32:46 EDT 2008

> On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 08:49:59AM +0200, ZIGLIO, Frediano,
> VF-IT wrote:
> >
> > Applied modified versions of the patches.
> tds_query_flush_packet was really wrong in
> > tds_send_emulated_execute!
> > I noted however that probably you are using wrong protocol
> version. ODBC should use this
> > function only on Sybase with some text fields or using a
> former protocol (4.2). Currently
> > you should use protocol version 5.0 for Sybase, 8.0 for
> mssql2k and 7.0 for mssql < 2k.
>
> I noticed that FreeTDS was using protocol 4.2 when I was
> debugging all of this
> (the prepared statements weren't really prepared and were
> sent to the server
> every time) but I didn't want to confuse matters by including
> this in the
> other message. My task for today was going to be figuring out
> *why* it was
> using protocol 4.2 (this is an MS SQL server). I don't know any way of
> changing this using ODBC calls, so what is the correct way of
> selecting the
> protocol version when using ODBC?
>
> Cheers,
>     Chris

You can
- configure all FreeTDS to use another version by default
- use TDS_Version option in odbc.ini (see
http://www.freetds.org/userguide/odbcconnattr.htm)
- use TDS_Version option using SQLDriverConnect
- use combined configuration and specify "tds version" option (see
http://www.freetds.org/userguide/freetdsconf.htm)