[freetds] Cannot connect to MSSQL named instance

Colin Adams colinpauladams at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 30 10:09:24 EDT 2008

Hello,

I'm using FreeTDS 0.82 to try to connect to MSSQL databases from Linux
with TDS version 8.0 .

This works fine if I specify the port number, but not if I specify the
instance name.

Doing an strace on tsql shows that it is send a datagram request to
port 1434 as documented, but does not receive a reply.

My database adminstrator thinks this must be some kind of problem with
the MSSQL browser service, but does not know the answer yet. I was
wandering if any orher FreeTDS users had encountered this problem.