[freetds] FreeTDS installed but Does Not Show In PHP Modules

Wei, Alice J. ajwei at indiana.edu
Sat Jun 14 14:18:57 EDT 2008

Hi,

  I have recently installed a Linux machine using Fedora so that I could turn it into a web server that hosts mostly PHP pages, while I am intending to connect to an external database server that runs on Microsoft SQL 2005.

  I was told to install the product FreeTDS as a fixture to my current problems, which my problems still exist. After I have finished installing Apache and also your program, I was told by the people on the PHP list to install PHP and use the following prompt to configure my PHP.

./configure --with-mssql=/usr/local/freetds --prefix=/usr/local/php

During the configuration process, the machine displayed that it could not find the FreeTDS directory, even though it listed that mssql was configured in the PHP installation. I had configured my freetds to the following:

# A typical Microsoft server
[egServer70]
      host = 192.168.10.62
      port = 1433
      tds version = 7.2

I could currently finally use the command line and telnet to the server that hosts the MS SQL database, but when I tried to connect to it using PHP, I still have lines that say I could not connect to the server. If my PHP syntax is accurate,

// connection to the database
$dbhandle = mssql_connect($myServer, $myUser, $myPass)
    or die("Couldn't connect to SQL Server on $myServer");

// select a database to work with
$selected = mssql_select_db($myDB, $dbhandle)
    or die("Couldn't open database $myDB");

Could anyone please tell me what I have done wrong here? Should I install more packages? Or, should I not install my freetds in the /usr/local directory?

I welcome any suggestion.

Alice

Alice Wei
MIS 2009