[freetds] Bug #1759652 and resolution

ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT Frediano.Ziglio at vodafone.com
Tue Aug 7 09:42:58 EDT 2007

> the questions are:
> - is it correct?
> - should we call tds_read_conf_file even if these strange syntaxes are
> used?
> - if is correct to call tds_read_conf_file after
> parse_server_name_for_port which specifications should take
> precedence.
> For instance if we specify foo:1234 and in section "foo" of
> freetds.conf
> we have "port = 5678" which port should we use.
> I think all these cases should be documented in our userguide.
>
> Also I start thinking that perhaps name resolution should be done in
> login.c or in net.c and not in config.c so to avoid double
> resolutions.

Well... I forgot to express my opinions...
I never saw "server\instance" or "server:port" as freetds.conf
servername so parse_server_name_for_port should be called before
tds_read_conf_file. Is also useful to pass parsed servername to
tds_read_conf_file to read additional infos (tds version, charset and so
on). tds_read_conf_file by itself try to resolve name from servername to
I would also remove name resolution from parse_server_name_for_port.