[freetds] connecting to two databases with the same name but ondifferent servers

Reid, Roger L. roger.reid at dpw.com
Fri Jul 20 15:54:12 EDT 2007

The stuff between the [] is a server alias, not a database name.

Now, if you have a one database server, and you call the server and database the same thing that might not be obvious.

It would help to know what doesn't work, what error, whatever.   But your 2 servers are [rmengDb] and [rmengDb2].

If you're database is called rmengDb on both boxes, that's what you'll want to specify for the DATABASE.

In my shop we always do an explict "use <database>" call....I think it can be on the connection string like this

"DBI:Sybase:server=rmengDb2,database=rmengDB"

but I havn't used it in a while: check the CPAN page on DBI and you should be OK.   Just remember that the config
entry is the dataserver, not the database.