Setup on Linux with Perl

Lowden, James K LowdenJK at bernstein.com
Thu Jun 7 12:50:15 EDT 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: Ryan Ashley [mailto:rashley at delosps.com]
Sent: June 7, 2001 11:32 AM

>In the user guide reference is made to linking FreeTDS to a "program" for
>connection.  What kind of program do they mean and how do I "link" them?
>Is this a reference to something like SAMBA?  Or perhaps do I need
>something running on the NT box?  What am I missing, here?

Ryan,

You're not missing anything.  Sorry to mislead you.  That's just trying to
say you can't type "FreeTDS" in at your favorite shell prompt and get
anything to happen.  FreeTDS is a library and as such doesn't do much by
itself.  In your case the "program" is perl, which is (dynamically, I think)
linked to FreeTDS to connect you to your database.  Perl is doing the work
of accepting input from the "outside world" (you, a file, a web page form,
whatever), and uses FreeTDS to get the database stuff done.  That's all.

The perils of English....