[Commons-research] Research Program and Wiki up!

Giorgos Cheliotis gcheliotis.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 16:39:36 EDT 2008

Hello to everyone on the list,

I'm happy to announce that we finally have a detailed version of the
research program of the isummit posted online, in the form of a simple
wiki at: http://commonsresearch.wikidot.com

One cool feature, and rather unusual for an academic-style event is
that every uploaded paper/abstract can be commented on (you may need
to create an account first at wikidot). So, with reviews, and the
possibility to comment on papers, and this mailing list we have in
effect started the summit already a month before we meet in Sapporo
and I hope that we will keep this up even after Sapporo.

Please do take a look at it and feel free to comment, make
suggestions, etc. (though at this stage it is too late to make any
major changes).

We received 29 submissions for research presentations and each
submission was reviewed by at least 3 reviewers, sometimes more! So
the total was about 90 reviews written in a rather short amount of
time. Of course we're talking about extended abstracts here so reviews
were sometimes very short, but this is still quite an achievement I
believe. After careful consideration of the review results and other
factors (having a good mix of presentations, diversity, inclusion,
expected interest) we decided among the chairs to accept 16 papers for
presentation (55% acceptance rate) and another 5 for posters.

Generally many papers received favorable reviews, even if some reviews
were quite critical, so we opted for a model of maximum inclusion,
where we want to give everyone with a sufficiently interesting
submission a chance to present their work.  The inevitable downside is
that the research track will dedicate a fair amount of time to
traditional "academic" presentations, but we have made space for a 1-
hour speedgeeking session and a 1.5 hour open discussion on setting a
commons research agenda. Also, all participants will naturally be able
to mingle with every other isummit participant during breaks, social
events, etc, so overall there should be a fair balance between ad-hoc
participation and structured presentations.

I will follow up with some more emails on specific aspects of the
isummit research program.

Giorgos