stuff to do, week of April 25, 2009

grady grady at ibiblio.org
Sat Apr 25 14:37:02 EDT 2009

Saturday, April 25
Dillon Fence    (http://www.dillonfence.com)
Katharine Whalen    (http://www.mammoth.go.com/katharinewhalen/)
Jason Ross & Thomas Juliano
John Strohm    (http://www.myspace.com/johnpstrohmmusic)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Two labels were founded in the Triangle circa 1989. Both had names that
began with the letter 'M'. One, Merge, was founded by musicians,
initially just to release their own music, but went on to release
seminal indie-rock albums such as Neutral Milk Hotel's "In the Aeroplane
Over the Sea," Magnetic Fields' "69 Love Songs," and the Arcade Fire's
"Funeral." Still alive and kicking today, they'll be celebrating their
20th anniversary with a 5-day festival in July.

The other 1989 'M' label, Mammoth, was founded by a Duke MBA, and
released a wide variety of music from the very beginning, both local
(blackgirls, Vanilla Trainwreck, Dillon Fence) and non- (Blake Babies,
Dash Rip Rock, Joe Henry). Over the course of the next decade, they had
a pretty wild ride, releasing some brilliant records (a huge chunk of
Joe Henry's amazing '90s ouvre), some not-so-brilliant (Machines of
Loving Grace? Vowel Movement?) and some that more or less changed the
face of modern music, however temporarily (remember the Squirrel Nut
Zippers?)

Yet by 1998 they were a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Walt Disney
Corporation, and in 2003 Disney quietly killed Mammoth, folding it into
Hollywood Records (home of the Jonas Brothers).

The press coverage of Merge's 20th anniversary is going to be pretty
much wall-to-wall all year long. I'm guessing there won't be much
coverage of Mammoth (so far, they haven't even been footnoted in the
Merge articles I've read, even though it was Merge who actually released
the first SNZ 7").

And their only birthday celebration consists of this one-night-stand at
the Cradle, featuring a handful of folks once connected to the label.

Saturday, April 25
The Bronzed Chorus    (http://www.myspace.com/thebronzedchorus)
Battle Rockets    (http://www.myspace.com/battlerockets)
The White Cascade    (http://www.myspace.com/thewhitecascade)
Jack Sprat Cafe, Chapel Hill

At least two of these bands, the Triangle's Battle Rockets and
Greensboro's Bronzed Chorus, are instrumental duos.

Saturday, April 25
Filthybird    (http://www.myspace.com/filthybird)
Midtown Dickens    (http://www.myspace.com/midtowndickens)
Auxiliary House    (http://www.trekkyrecords.com/auxhouse.html)
Bull City    (http://www.bullcitytheband.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is a CD-release party for the latest installment in the
long-running, and utterly crucial, Compulation series. Local-music comps
have come and gone throughout the long history of the local music scene,
from the Mondo Montage and Comboland comps of the '80s, to the Pyloric
Waves, Wifflefist and Cognitive Mapping comps of the early-mid-90s, to a
whole host of one-offs that have come and gone over the past decade. But
no-one else has come close to matching the hit quotient of the
Compulation series.

And even a cursory glance at the tracklist for this new edition confirms
that it'll be every bit as crucial as the first two.

Saturday, April 25
Killer Filler    (http://www.myspace.com/killerfiller)
The Noseriders    (http://www.myspace.com/thenoseriders)
The Surge    (http://www.myspace.com/thesurgeinstro)
Atomic Mosquitos    (http://www.myspace.com/atomicmosquitos)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

This is the second in a series of "Instro Summits" hosted by local
surf/garage/lounge act Killer Filler.

Saturday, April 25
American Aquarium    (http://www.americanaquarium.com/)
Red Collar    (http://www.myspace.com/redcollarmusic)
Holy Ghost Tent Revival    (http://www.myspace.com/hgtr)
Pour House, Raleigh

Red Collar are now a month or so into their great full-time indie-rocker
adventure, and are swinging back through town to recharge their
batteries before heading right back out onto the road again. They were a
top-notch rockband *before* spending a month on the road; I can't even
imagine what they're like now.

Saturday, April 25
Monsonia    (http://www.monsonia.com)
Jew(s) & Catholic(s)    (http://www.myspace.com/jewsandcatholics)
Death Came Down the Mountain
(http://www.myspace.com/deathcamedownthemountain)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Saturday, April 25
The Yayhoos
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Night two of the Slims 10th anniversary weekend.

Saturday, April 25
Goodbye, Titan    (http://www.myspace.com/loudestsilenceever)
Bicycle Day    (http://myspace.com/bicycleday1)
The Last Track    (http://www.myspace.com/thelasttrack)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Sunday, April 26
The Spinns    (http://www.thespinns.freeservers.com/)
Dirty Little Heaters    (http://www.myspace.com/thedirtylittleheaters)
Pinche Gringo    (http://www.myspace.com/pinchegringoband)
The Siberians    (http://www.myspace.com/olafandthesiberians)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Holy crap, it's a Spinns reunion! *And* sets by the current bands of two
of the three Spinns, plus Brooklyn's The Siberians. Garage-rock show of
the month, at least.

Monday, April 27
Dinosaur Jr    (http://www.freakscene.net/)
Mike Watt & the Missingmen    (http://hootpage.com/hoot_missingmen2006.html)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

I know I don't have to write any kind of blurb for this show, so I'll
just repeat what it said on the Cradle schedule, namely that you'll get
a free single (or a "digital download card," but where's the fun in
that?) at the door.

Monday, April 27
Hiss Golden Messenger
Muscle Babes
Daniel Francis Doyle
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, April 28
The Kills    (http://www.thekills.tv/)
The Magic Wands    (http://www.myspace.com/themagicwands)
The Horrors    (http://www.myspace.com/thehorrors)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Wednesday, April 29
Marquee Moon
Amps Do Furnish a Room    (http://www.myspace.com/ampsdofurnisharoom)
Boat Burning    (http://www.myspace.com/boatburning)
Marvell Building, Durham

Andy tells the story better than I could:

Ok, to recap:

2007, Amps Do Furnish A Room presents Television's "Marquee Moon" live;

2008, Amps Do Furnish A Room spins off BOAT BURNING, an experimental
post-rock outfit specializing in live composition and "hard ambiance";
The Old Ceremony cellist Josh Starmer joins;

2009, Amps Do Furnish A Room studies "the roots of Iggy", selections of
rare 60s garage and psychedelia from NC and elsewhere, each chosen for
its swaggering, lip-curling potential...

Wednesday Apr 29th, Amps Do Furnish A Room will proudly present ALL
THREE shows

Wednesday, April 29
Amon Amarth    (http://www.myspace.com/amonamarth)
Goatwhore    (http://www.myspace.com/goatwhore)
Skeletonwitch    (http://www.myspace.com/skeletonwitch)
Lazarus A.D.    (http://www.myspace.com/lazarus1)
Bloodsoaked    (http://www.myspace.com/bloodsoakedband)
Volume 11 Tavern, Raleigh

I have no informed opinions about the bands on this bill; just posting
it as evidence that the End of Good Band Names has extended to metal as
well.

Wednesday, April 29
Mr. Quintron    (http://www.southern.com/southern/band/QTRON/)
Miss Pussycat    (http://www.eccentricneworleans.com/mr__quintron.htm)
Psychedelic Horseshit    (http://www.myspace.com/psychedelichorseshit)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Last year, after a series of amazing benefit shows featuring many of the
brighest lights of North Carolina music, our friend Cy Rawls, weak from
chemo & from the brain cancer that would kill him soon after, told his
parents he was going to see some friends, and then went to the airport,
boarded a plane, and flew to New Orleans. To see Mr. Quintron.

Thursday, April 30
Dirty Little Heaters    (http://www.myspace.com/thedirtylittleheaters)
Richard Bacchus & the Luckiest Girls
(http://www.myspace.com/richardbacchus)
Static Minds
The Pinhook, Durham

BIG thank-you to the Dirty Little Heaters (didja hear? They're now a
4-piece, thanks to keyboardist Doug White (Travesties)) for bringing a
couplea Raleigh's finest to Durham so's lazy bastards like myself can
actually finally see them. The lineup:

12:00 - The Dirty Little Heaters
11:00 - Richard Bacchus and the Luckiest Girls
10:00 - Static Minds

Thursday, April 30
Hammer No More the Fingers    (http://www.hnmtf.com)
Bambara
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

This week's Local Bands Local Beers features Hammer No More the Fingers,
whose new full-length "Looking for Bruce," and the extended touring
it'll hopefully spawn, should result in whatever passes for indie-rock
bigness nowadays. See 'em while you can.

Thursday, April 30
Valient Thorr    (http://www.valientthorr.com/)
Double Negative    (http://www.myspace.com/thedoublenegative)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Valient Thorr are from Venus, where somehow they intercepted nothing but
sporadic transmissions from Judas Priest, MC5 and Motorhead. To their
credit, they kept their disappointment hidden when they finally arrived
here on Earth & discovered how much less badass the rest of us actually are.

Double Negative, being the best hardcore band I've ever seen, bar none,
would probably go over pretty fucking well on Venus as well.

Thursday, April 30
Rocket Cottage
Whatever Brains    (http://www.myspace.com/whateverbrains)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Whatever Brains you hopefully have heard about now; their mix of
fuzz/noise & Buzzcocksy hook-punk is JUST RIGHT for 2009 & beyond.

Rocket Cottage is yet another Russ DeSena (Chickens, Kolyma, ~1435
others) joint.

Friday, May 1
Jimmy & The Teasers    (http://www.geocities.com/booze1031/teasers.html)
Reverend Horton Heat    (http://www.reverendhortonheat.com/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Friday, May 1
Vetiver    (http://www.vetiverse.com)
Jew(s) & Catholic(s)    (http://www.myspace.com/jewsandcatholics)
Distrails    (http://www.myspace.com/distrails)
The Werehouse, Winston-Salem

Friday, May 1
The Love Language    (http://www.myspace.com/thelovelanguage)
Americans in France    (http://www.myspace.com/americansinfrance)
Huguenots    (http://www.myspace.com/thehuguenotsmusic)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is a party thrown by the folks at the Diversions section of the
Daily Tar Heel, who prove once again that they've got impeccable taste
in the local rock. Huguenots are a UNC band who dress snappily & have a
fondness for the 60s British Invasion.

The Love Language have struck a nerve with the national press, both blog
& otherwise, for their mix of lo-fi jangle and wistful countryish vibe.
Americans in France are fucked up in a vaguely Pixies-in-outer-space
kinda way. Their new album, Pretzelvania, is gonna lodge itself firmly
in my top-5 of 2009, when it comes out in a couple of weeks.

Friday, May 1
Boxbomb
Max Indian    (http://www.myspace.com/maxindian)
The Tomahawks    (http://www.myspace.com/jeffcrawfordmusic)
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

Friday, May 1
Johnny Corndawg    (http://www.myspace.com/TheCorndawg)
Lonnie Walker    (http://www.myspace.com/lonniewalker)
Tavo Carbone    (http://www.myspace.com/tavocarboneband)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Friday, May 1
Monsonia    (http://www.monsonia.com)
Grappling Hook    (http://www.myspace.com/torchmaraudersgrapplinghook)
The Travesties    (http://www.myspace.com/travestiesnc)
Reservoir, Carrboro

The new Grappling Hook album, "And Those Who Would Protect Us," has been
on near-constant rotation in my car for the past few weeks now. That's
due partly to how well I know & love the songs already (it has been a
long time coming, this album -- it was recorded a year ago), but mostly
because the riffs are massive, undeniable *and* remarkably catchy. This
is its formal Orange County release, so come prepared to take home a copy.

Factor in sets by two more of the Triangle's finest live bands and
you've got the show of the week, methinks.

Friday, May 1
The Ts    (http://www.myspace.com/thettttt)
The Infamous Sugar
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Saturday, May 2
Cursive    (http://www.saddle-creek.com)
Man Man    (http://www.wearemanman.com)
Andrew Jeffrey Wright    (http://www.thisisandrewwright.com)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Saturday, May 2
Filthybird    (http://www.myspace.com/filthybird)
The Tender Fruit    (http://www.myspace.com/thetenderfruit)
Starmount    (http://www.myspace.com/starmountmusic)
The Pinhook, Durham

Starmount are a swirly instrumental outfit from Raleigh, led by longtime
Raleigh recordist/guitarist Greg Elkins. Filthybird are from Greensboro,
and manage to combine some of the freaky energy of mid-70s Joni Mitchell
with an indie-rock insistence.

Tender Fruit sports the powerful vocals of Christy Smith, who used to
sing for the great Raleigh country band Nola.

12:00 - Tender Fruit
11:00 - Filthybird
10:00 - Starmount

Saturday, May 2
Malamondos    (http://www.malamondos.com/)
The Butchers
Gojira-X    (http://www.gojira-x.com/)
Pinche Gringo    (http://www.myspace.com/pinchegringoband)
The Palm Readers    (http://www.myspace.com/palmreaders)
The Garage, Winston-Salem

Saturday, May 2
Dom Casual    (http://www.myspace.com/domcasual)
Jeff Hart
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Saturday, May 2
Kevin Devine    (http://www.myspace.com/kevindevine)
Ryan Gustafson    (http://www.myspace.com/ryangustafsonmusic)
Miniature Tigers    (http://www.myspace.com/miniaturetigers)
Brian Bonz    (http://www.myspace.com/brianbonz)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Sunday, May 3
Junior Boys    (http://www.sothisisgoodbye.com)
Max Tundra    (http://www.maxtundra.com)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Two Domino (UK) post-Postal-Service electro-whispery outfits. Max Tundra
mashes up the basic plan with rampant Stevie Wonderism.

Sunday, May 3
The Pack A.D.    (http://www.myspace.com/thepackad)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Two-woman gtr/drums rock duo from Vancouver.

Monday, May 4
The Pains of Being Pure at Heart
(http://www.myspace.com/thepainsofbeingpureatheart)
Zaza    (http://www.myspace.com/warofzaza)