Ch-scene Digest, Vol 66, Issue 3

Monkey Boy monkeyboythom at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 14:26:59 EDT 2009


 Too bad? Hmmm...Not from where I am looking.

First of all this is not a slam against Jamie. I don't know this person but
my assumption is that there is disappointment in not being to see two things
at once (Tin Star vs Ottovonbismark).

However, I disagree. Durham is experience a resurgence of growth and culture
at a time when other cities never had this chance or are losing out due to
the economy. Durham is very lucky in that the residents have had to make due
with little or no budgets and no outside help. We have been blessed, though,
with Duke University's largess for things like the ADF and FullFrame. But
those are just a small part of the overall culture of this city. No, we have
done a lot with very little.

Now, as we are expanding our cultural experiences, we need to recognize this
simple fact that our events don't happen in a vacuum. So instead of being
conflicts of interests, imagine these events as being cross-promotional or
serendipitous.

For example, to walk or bike from Bull's Balls Plaza to Bull City
Headquarters is less than half a mile -- a ten minute walk. (By car,
seven-tenths of a mile.) The Art Walk is not linear in space and therefore
not in time. I mean, you aren't walking in a straight line and the art does
not happen in sequence. So visit the bands you'd like to hear and then with
the other times, walk around and see the Art Walk areas. Yeah, by the end of
the day it is conceivable that you've walked around eight miles, but then
why not stop at one of fine eateries to rest and take in some food and
drink.

Yes, you will not get to see and do everything in a culturally enriched
city. But isn't that so much better than doing nothing?


-thom

PS -- Anyone know why Loco Pops is not open for events on the Plaza? I would
think they would want to make money and stay in business.


Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 17:16:40 -0400
> From: Jamie Miyares <jmiyares at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re Duo fest overlaps with Durham Art Walk
> To: ch-scene at lists.ibiblio.org
> Message-ID:
>        <2aafe4430904021416t21dac6b7s13aaf5f0aed683fc at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> It's too bad this event is the same time as the annual Durham Art Walk!
> I've
> attached a flyer for it.
> Tin Star plays free in the Bulls plaza downtown at 5:15
>
> On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 1:20 PM, <ch-scene-request at lists.ibiblio.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Send Ch-scene mailing list submissions to
> >        ch-scene at lists.ibiblio.org
> >
> > To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> >        http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/ch-scene
> > or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> >        ch-scene-request at lists.ibiblio.org
> >
> > You can reach the person managing the list at
> >        ch-scene-owner at lists.ibiblio.org
> >
> > When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> > than "Re: Contents of Ch-scene digest..."
> >
> >
> > Today's Topics:
> >
> >   1. Duo-fest III:  Mecca Normal & 15 other Duos, 4/18 (eleni binge)
> >   2. Re: Duo-fest III: Mecca Normal & 15 other Duos, 4/18




Keep Durham Dangerous



More information about the Ch-scene mailing list