[cc-licenses] Attribution: accurate credit should not be forbidden

Francesco Poli invernomuto at paranoici.org
Sat Feb 16 11:53:45 EST 2013

Hello for the third time,
Section 3(a)(3) of CC-by-sa-v4.0draft3 states:

[...]
>      3. If requested by the Licensor, You must, to the extent
>         reasonably practicable, remove any of the information
>         required by Section 3(a)(1)(A-C).
[...]

where information in 3(a)(1)(A-C) is basically the names of the
authors and of other parties to be attributed, copyright notices and
disclaimers.

An equivalent clause is included in the draft3 of CC-by-v4.0.

I am still convinced that this clause does not meet the Debian Free
Software Guidelines.  See my previous message [1] about this same issue
in draft2.

[1] http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/cc-licenses/2012-August/007118.html

Since I don't think that a license can (allow a licensor to) forbid an
accurate credit and meet the DFSG at the same time, I recommend that
this clause be dropped entirely from CC-v4.0 licenses, or, at least,
amended so that it says:

|  3. If requested by the Licensor, You must, to the extent
|     reasonably practicable, remove any inaccurate or
|     misleading information required by Section 3(a)(1)(A-C).

I hope this suggestion may be implemented in the next draft.

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/frx-gpg-key-transition-2010.txt
 New GnuPG key, see the transition document!