[cc-licenses] CC version 4.0 -- public discussion now open

Diane Peters diane at creativecommons.org
Fri Dec 9 20:37:22 EST 2011

Hi everyone,

Please see this blog post announcing the launch of the public discussion
process for version 4.0 of the license suite:
http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/30676 (also pasted below).

As in the past, this list will be the central forum for proposed changes
and related discussion.  New with version 4.0 is a set of wiki pages
(accessible via http://wiki.creativecommons.org/4.0), where issues and
proposals raised here will be aggregated, annotated and evaluated.  We are
also introducing a formal requirements gathering period in advance of
publication of 4.0 license drafts, to ensure fuller community participation
in the license development process.

As detailed in the blog post, pursuing a public discussion on versioning at
this time makes a lot of sense.  We are eager to hear your thoughts about
how 4.0 ought be shaped to support our shared objective of creating a
global license that will endure for the foreseeable future.  Please join us
for the requirements gathering process, which will continue through
February 2012 in advance of publication of the first draft of the licenses.

Expect to hear from several of us at CC on this list during the process,
including Mike Linksvayer <http://wiki.creativecommons.org/4.0> (veteran of
three prior license versioning efforts (2.0, 2.5 and 3.0)), Sarah
Pearson<http://creativecommons.org/staff#sarahhinchliffpearson>, and
many others.  We await your input and suggestions!

Diane

 Version 4.0 – Public Discussion Launches Diane Peters, December 9th, 2011

We are pleased to announce the beginning of the public discussion process
that we expect to result in version 4.0 of the Creative Commons license
suite.
Timeliness and Opportunity

The 4.0 discussions held at the 2011 Global
Summit<http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/29237> confirmed
for CC the need to commence the 4.0 discussion process now if we wish to
consider issues relevant to important would-be adopters in a timely manner.
As explained following legal sessions at the
Summit<http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/29639>,
version 3.0 is working (and will continue to work) really well for many
adopters, but the reality is different for others. The treatment of sui
generis database rights in the 3.0 licenses continues to be a show-stopper
for many, including governments in Europe. This fosters an environment in
which custom licenses proliferate, inevitably resulting in silos of
incompatibly-licensed content that cannot be maximally shared and remixed.
But there exist still other reasons for pursuing 4.0 at this time,
including the desire to adjust the licenses to more fully support adoption
by intergovernmental organizations and those looking for a more
internationally-oriented license suite.
The consequence of not addressing these challenges now is one of
opportunity — bridging these differences sooner rather than later (where
possible) is always advisable, especially if a more inclusive commons may
result. For those fond of version 3.0, rest assured that CC will continue
to support existing and future implementations and adopters that rely on
those licenses. We will take pains not to create a 4.0 suite that
undermines or otherwise presents challenges for those communities.
 Process – Discussion Forum – 4.0 Wiki

Importantly, for the first time in CC’s history we begin the versioning
process without publishing a draft of the new licenses for review. This is
intentional, and it is designed to ensure we hear from the community first.
*During this 2-3 month requirements gathering period, we urge everyone with
a proposal, concern or other input to please put it forth, as our goal is
to make the first draft as comprehensive as possible.* We will alert the
community when the requirements period draws to a close, expected to be
mid-February 2012. As in the past, we will publish at least two drafts of
the licenses before finalizing, which we anticipate will occur late 2012.

As with past versioning efforts, the central discussion forum will be CC’s
license discuss list (subscribe
now)<http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/cc-licenses>.
New to the 4.0 process, however, is a dedicated group of wiki pages (accessible
through the main 4.0 wiki page <http://wiki.creativecommons.org/4.0>) where
topics and proposals under discussion on that email list will be
documented, annotated, and evaluated. We have pre-populated the wiki pages
with several of the issues we expect to address during this process,
framing key topics to help shape the discussion and including known and
anticipated proposals related to each. Among others, we expect healthy
debates regarding the treatment of moral
rights<http://wiki.creativecommons.org/4.0/Moral_rights>,
the definition of
NonCommercial<http://wiki.creativecommons.org/4.0/NonCommercial>,
scope of ShareAlike <http://wiki.creativecommons.org/4.0/ShareAlike>,
treatment of sui generis database
rights<http://wiki.creativecommons.org/4.0/License_subject_matter>,
and much more. The issues are organized by topic with cross-references to
related issues throughout the wiki, but there is also an open forum
(the Sandbox
page <http://wiki.creativecommons.org/4.0/Sandbox>) where you should be
encouraged to suggest other topics you feel are important to discuss for
version 4.0 (a few placeholders already exist).

For a fuller description of CC’s objectives, the process and expected
schedule, visit the 4.0 wiki homepage <http://wiki.creativecommons.org/4.0>.

We encourage everyone who is interested in the future of Creative Commons,
and open licensing generally, to participate in this process. The more
voices that chime in to raise issues and debate the merits of various
proposals, the stronger version 4.0 will be, helping us achieve our goal of
creating a set of robust licenses that will endure long into the future. If
you have an opinion about how to simplify CC’s attribution requirements,
for example, or any of the other important issues we plan to examine during
the process, please post your suggestion to the CC license discuss
list(subscribe
today) <http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/cc-licenses> and add it
to our 4.0 wiki <http://wiki.creativecommons.org/4.0>. We look forward to
hearing from you.
 Support CC

The Version 4.0 process and many other
activities<http://wiki.creativecommons.org/FAQ#Why_does_Creative_Commons_run_an_annual_fundraising_campaign.3F_What_is_the_money_used_for_and_where_does_it_go.3F>
are
supported by contributions from our community. As a global nonprofit
organization that enables sharing and reuse of creativity and knowledge
through free legal tools, Creative Commons has always relied on the
generosity of both individuals and organizations to fund its ongoing
operations. Please consider donating to our Annual
Campaign<https://creativecommons.net/donate/>,
going on now. Thank you.
--
Diane M. Peters, General Counsel