[cc-licenses] Parallel Distribution Statement

rob at robmyers.org rob at robmyers.org
Wed Dec 6 10:42:50 EST 2006

Quoting "Benj. Mako Hill" <mako at atdot.cc>:

> Perhaps more importantly, everyone in this discussion (myself included)
> seems to be indifferent, at best, to the most popular CC licenses.  Do
> you feel that any consensus we might come to is representative of CC
> users given that a majority of licenses choose non-SA and NC works and a
> good chunk choose ND?

I believe that the single most used license is NC-SA:

The single most used module (after BY ;-) ) is NC.

> Do you think your copyleft-centric refutation is meaningful in the
> context of the majority of CC works which are not copyleft?

Subverting copyleft is a specific example of the more general problem of
subversion of the terms of the CC licenses. DRM can also prevent free
redistribution under BY, or stretch NC.

I still really think that we need answers to the following questions:

1. Who is allowed to add DRM to the work? Do you have to be a rights holder?

2. Isn't DRM distribution allowed by the current licenses anyway?

See, er:

http://mako.cc/copyrighteous/ip/20061115-00.html

(via MJ Ray) for why I ask whether distribution is already permitted.

- Rob.