[cc-licenses] parallel distribution, closed technologies and freedom

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Mon Dec 4 15:58:29 EST 2006

On Monday 04 December 2006 02:27 pm, Benj. Mako Hill wrote:
> <quote who="Alek Tarkowski" date="Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 11:56:05AM +0100">
>
> > I don't think it makes sense to ask people for comments on your wiki
> > if you don't plan to respond to them and prefer to talk on the
> > mailing list. So I'm reposting my comment here:
>
> I have responded to several other comments on that wiki page. I
> thought my response to another comment had also answered your
> question. I apologize if you feel that it did not.
>
> > I have a rather "theoretical" comment regarding your position
> > paper. You write:
> >
> > "PlayStations <http://wiki.mako.cc/PlayStations>, like cell phones
> > and many other consumer technologies, are inherently and
> > intentionally [...]  less empowering than other technologies. It is
> > silly to consider banning the distribution of CC-licensed works to
> > devices that are unable to take full advantage of the freedoms to
> > modify and redistribute under CC licenses"
> >
> > I find this confusing in light of your freedom-based critique of
> > some of the CC licenses. It seems that while you are against legal
> > limitations to user freedom, you support technical limitiations to
> > user freedom.
>
> I don't *support* technological limitations. In fact, you can see
> that I've spent a lot of time working on projects like OLPC
> specifically because I think they help address important imbalances
> in access to more flexible and empowering information technologies:
>
>   http://mako.cc/copyrighteous/freesoftware/20051215-00
>
> > Shouldn't a freedom-based position be critical also of technologies
> > that make content un-free?
>
> In fact, I am extremely critical of technologies that make content
> non-free. I have been at least as active in opposing DRM as any of the
> opponents of parallel distribution through Defective by Design,
> through iRony, a RockBox installer I wrote, and through organized
> anti-DRM install parties.  It's unfair to conflate advocacy of
> parallel distribution with support for DRM. I will support DRM only in
> situations where users have a non-DRMed version and where I feel that
> the important negative effects of DRM are totally mitigated.
>
> I think that the benefits and freedoms that parallel distribution
> gives users (e.g., the ability to copy, redistribute, remix the
> parallel copy on any non-DRM platform) outweighs the benefits to the
> institution of DRM introduced by the ability of the same work play on
> a device like a PlayStation. Others have disagreed with me.

OK, can we have a recap by all sides?

I think this has been asked for before by more than one person.

What devices exist at the present moment that can play DRM content and cannot
play non-DRM content? Does anyone know of any?

I will ask more questions when we have this list.

> Regards,
> Mako

(da idea man)
National Novel Writing Month