[cc-licenses] Version 3.0 - Public Discussion

rob at robmyers.org rob at robmyers.org
Fri Aug 11 05:08:04 EDT 2006

Quoting Greg London <teloscorbin at gmail.com>:

> But Creative Commons doesn't require source code,
> or has that changed?

It has not. The closest you get to source is the original version. And if the
original version is only available on a DRM-laden system you cannot move it to
other system.

This is why pleas for DRM are *not* pleas for user freedom.

> If I have an executable for PS2
> and make a non-DRM version available, and if making
> a PS2 emulator for my PC is illegal because of DMCA,
> then I really have no other way to play it, do I?

Shhhh! The point is that not allowing DRM restricts people's freedom, because
any ban on restricting freedom is obviously a restriction on freedom, and we
cannot have restrictions on freedom. Everybody knows that! ;-)

- Rob.