[cc-licenses] Version 3.0 - Public Discussion

Evan Prodromou evan at prodromou.name
Thu Aug 10 09:00:49 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-08 at 14:21 -0700, Mia Garlick wrote:
> these drafts to the public - about whether to amend the CC licenses
> to include a "parallel distribution" amendment to the existing "anti-
> DRM" (or more correctly an "anti-TPM" (technological protection
> measures)) clause of the CC licenses.

One question that's come from Debian members is whether the anti-TPM
wording in the 3.0 draft would, as it stands, allow parallel
distribution. The draft says:

        You may not impose any technological measures on the Work that
        restrict the ability of a recipient of the Work from You to
        exercise the rights granted to them under the License.

It could be argued that TPM applied to a Work, distributed with a
"cleartext" copy or with such a copy available from the licensee, does
not restrict the ability of the recipient to exercise their rights.

I'd love to hear some opinion on the matter.

~Evan