[cc-community] CC-BY-SA for Jailhouse Lawyers?

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Sat Nov 26 09:33:09 EST 2011

On Friday 25 November 2011 14:46:26 Mike Linksvayer wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 11:15 AM, drew Roberts <zotz at 100jamz.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> With this scheme you give permission for your work to be used in an
> >> adaptation offered under BY-NC-SA, which I doubt you want.
> >
> > No, it is not what I want but I would be prepared to live with that if it
> > meant that the photos I would rather were BY-SA could not be used in ARR
> > for profit books, magazines, newspapers and the like without my OK. If I
> > am correct, it would let my BY-SA photos be used in BY-SA books,
> > magazines, newspapers and the like without needing my OK.
>
> I find orders of preference interesting -- drew Roberts prefers "allow
> use of my images in BY-NC-SA work" to "allow use of my images in
> commercial ARR work".

At least he thinks he does right now. Having not thought through all of the
implications... What I want is for my stuff to be used in Free/Copyleft stuff
only. I would like to find a way to get there so far as possible. (For
instance, I know that currently I can BY-SA my songs all I want but people
can use them commercially ARR under a "forced" license. (Not sure I grok the
whole thing completely though.)

> >> Please participate in the upcoming 4.0 process if you care one way or
> >> the other, or better yet, have persuasive evidence that one way or
> >> another will be better for the commons.
> >
> > Is having these discussions in cc-community not count as participating in
> > the upcoming 4.0 process? If not, what does count?
>
> Any information potentially counts, including 2003 discussions, random
> blog posts, here, if said information is pertinent and summarized (ie
> someone bothers to) for people who aren't able to scour the web for
> all records. I believe the main venues for discussion and summary will
> be cc-licenses and a part of the CC wiki dedicated to 4.0 issues, to
> be announced.

I may get you here.

Still looking for that discussion folks. Anyone up for it?