[cc-community] CC-BY-SA for Jailhouse Lawyers?

Paul Houle paul at ontology2.com
Tue Nov 22 16:05:32 EST 2011

  On 11/22/2011 2:06 PM, Rob Myers wrote:
> On 21/11/11 21:58, Paul Houle wrote:
>>        Every week I hear from people who are perplexed with what CC-BY-SA
>> means.
> If you can provide examples people can make or add to a FAQ.

    I'm specifically interested in the case of photographs and other images.

     My understanding is that the use of a CC-BY-SA photo in a book does
not make the book CC-BY-SA.  If you crop the photograph and use it in
your book,  you've got to release the cropped photo as CC-BY-SA but
there's no effect on the book.  An image made from the image is a
derived work,  but if the image is simply used as-is in a different
creative work,  there's no issue.

     I'd like to see that stated in words that ordinary people (school
teachers,  professors writing academic textbooks,  people writing
blogs,  etc.) understand.