[cc-community] NC license for software

Skjddsjkkj Kjdsjksdkjsd bollocsnutsack at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 10 12:49:33 EST 2011

Hey,
Thanks all for your suggestions.
> Another path is to release the code with the "This code may be used under
> the GPL after [date]" right from the start, but that also means a year
> from now if you decide you don't want to GPL it you can't go back.
This is a great idea. Will do this.
Although because the software is written in Python (an interpreted language), I don't see why cc-by-nc can't work.

>The general concept has been done before with software, most famously by Aladdin (GPL releases one version behind, which worked out to be about a year delay). You can see the license they used for the commercial restriction period athttp://www.artifex.com/downloads/doc/Public.htm
Having scanned this license, it seems that it only prevents resale and not usage in commercial environments?
As I see it, this is an acceptable compromise to secure resources and make the software better. Because it will be released under GPL, then it will indirectly benefit the community rather than myself working on it in my spare time.
Thanks!