[b-hebrew] "Shinar" at Genesis 14: 1 Is Not "Sumer", Part I

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Sun Feb 3 21:49:46 EST 2008

Your point of view is only viable if one regards the midrash as a
work of literature, composed by various authors, out of their
imaginations.  That is incompatible with my point of view, that the
Midrash is a recording of what was "popular knowledge" handed down
through the generations.  Some of it could have been exaggeration,
and not entirely accurate, but some of it was also probably very
true.  We, alas, on this forum, will never know which was which,
except for those of you who believe it was ALL just a fabrication -
for you none of it is actually true.

Shoshanna

The "midrash" was possibly seeing  $IN(AR as consisting of $IN, 'two,
different' and (AR 'river', Y)OR or NAHAR. Thus $IN(AR = the land of
the $NEI Y)OR-IM. Another midrash may see (AR as standing for (IR, )
UR, 'city, people, throng'. Still another midrash may see $IN as
standing for 'tooth' and (AR being a contracted HAR, 'mountain',
ect., ect. Likewise for the -er of Sumer, the land of the big, (ACUM,
Aryans.
Isaac Fried, Boston University