[b-hebrew] Zech 6:8

David Kummerow farmerjoeblo at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 22 20:36:50 EST 2005

> @ Herman
> You wrote:
> Herman:dear kelton, Steve, others interested,
> In Biblical Hebrew, there is no visible nominative, genitive, dative,
>  accusative, ablative or any other kind of case ending for which we
> usLatin words, because they are Latin/Greek, i.e. Indo-European terms.
>  Let alone a "datival accusative". Imagine we would suppose there were
>  indeed case endings someday in Hebrew (which is likely), like in Arabic
> there still are in poetry for example, then we could easily prove that
> in the biblical phase of Hebrew they died out.
> Response: Well actually, the accusative is visible in Hebrew. )T is
> definitely the sign for the direct object.  A dative accusative is just
> a label for when we find a pronominal object where we would expect a
> prepositional object.

This is, to say the least, quite a contraversial subject; see, eg:

Garr, W. Randall. "Affectedness, Aspect, and Biblical 'et." Zeitschrift
für Althebraistik 4 (1991): 119-134.

Khan, G. A. "Object Markers and Agreement Pronouns in Semitic
Languages." Bulletin of the School of Oriental and African Studies 47
(1984): 468-500.

Kroeze, Jan H. "Alternatives for the Accusative in Biblical Hebrew."
Pages 11-25 in Studien zur hebräischen Grammatik. Edited by Andreas
Wagner. Orbis Biblicus et Orientalis 156. Freiburg/Göttingen:
Universitätsverlag/Vandenhoeck and Ruprecht, 1997.

Kroeze, Jan H. "Alternatives for the Nominative in Biblical Hebrew."
Journal of Semitic Studies 46 (2001): 33-50.

Regards,
David Kummerow.