[b-hebrew] Ps 90:8 (alumenu

lehmann lehmann at uni-mainz.de
Sun Sep 26 10:45:58 EDT 2004

Karl,

I am well aware the context. Normally it's the first thing I do. My question was not whether the Qal passive participle fulfills what is deserved syntactically in Ps 90:8 or not. I simply want to know the reason for lexicographers to parse as Qal pass.pt, though there is not a single other Qal of this verb, and, in my opinion, even is very unlikely for semantic reasons.

(alumenu in Ps 90:8 (note the unusual writing!) fulfills the roll of the nominal qatUl pattern which, to be sure, is the same like the qal passive participle. So why make a verbal form of a root which never seems to form a qal? BTW: a similar problem is the root BRK, but it is actually not my problem.

Reinhard G. Lehmann

> Reinhard:
>
> Look at the context. In this verse it is being used as a substantive, like a noun. It is referring to the unknown things, the things that we want to keep hidden and unknown from others. The Qal passive participle fulfills this roll.
>
> Karl W. Randolph.

   AkOR Dr.  Reinhard G. Lehmann
   Forschungsstelle für Althebräische Sprache und Epigraphik
   Fachbereich 02 Evangelische Theologie
   Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz
   D - 55099 Mainz
   tel: (+49) 6131 - 39 23284