SV: hurvitz and I

Thomas L. Thompson tlt at
Fri Feb 5 04:11:32 EST 1999

	Randall Buth wrote:
> yes, classical hebrew exists as a layer,
> and no, it was not written after the exile.
This use of metaphorical language is terribly puzzling to me. What do you
mean by a  "layer" in  a text? I know what it is in a cake and a tell. Do
you mean as the "Yahwist source" in the pentateuch? If so, the hypothesis of
such layering is dependent on a specific theory of composition, involving
both earlier and later elements within the same texts.
When is after the exile in absolute chronology? Which exile?