[B-Greek] The force of ὡς ἂν in 1 Corinthians 12:2

Kevin W. Woodruff cierpke at prodigy.net
Thu Feb 24 12:01:05 EST 2011

As I'm translating 1 Corinthians 12:2, I'm struggling with what the exact sense of the phrase ὡς ἂν has in the sentence.

BDAG says, "marker indicating perspective or point of view, with component of cautious statement, as if, as it were, so to speak" in one place (under ὡς ) but in another place (under ἂν), "denoting repeated action in past time, but only under certain given conditions." Both references cite 1 Cornithians 12:2 as a reference.

Other translations have,

"however"
"somehow or other"
"used to be"
"every time"
"somehow "
"even as "
"whenever"

Any thoughts?

Kevin

Library Director/Reference Librarian, Assistant Professor of Bible, Greek, Theological Bibliography and Research
Cierpke at prodigy.net  http://pages.prodigy.net/cierpke/woodruff.htm