[B-Greek] John 1:18 (EKEINOS)

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Mon Feb 21 13:47:45 EST 2011

On Feb 21, 2011, at 1:03 PM, Edgar Foster wrote:

> Greetings to all,
>
> The text: QEON OUDEIS hEWRAKEN PWPOTE MONOGENHS QEOS hO WN EIS TON KOLPON TOU PATROS EKEINOS EXHGHSATO.
>
> Assuming that the reading above is to be preferred, how would you understand the referent of EKEINOS? Is it God with respect to his essence (in view of the anarthrous QEON) that MONOGENHS QEOS "explained" or is it more strictly speaking, the Father that was explained? It could be the Father specifically since John writes about EIS TON KOLPON TOU PATROS

I would reaffirm what I think is a standard view here, that EKEINOS refers to MONOGENHS QEOS hO WN EIS TON KOLPON TOU PATROS. I think this sense is pretty much that categorized in BDAG s.v. EKEINOS a.β.:

	β. referring back to and resuming a word immediately preceding, oft. weakened to he, she, it (X., An. 4, 3, 20; Just., D. 1, 3 al.) Mk 16:10f. Esp. oft. so in J: 5:37; 8:44; 10:6; 11:29; 12:48; 13:6 v.l.; 14:21, 26; 16:14 al. Hence 19:35 perh. the eyewitness (just mentioned) is meant, who then, to be sure, would be vouching for his own credibility and love of the truth (s. aG).—Interchanging w. AUTOS (cp. Thu. 1, 32, 5; X., Cyr. 4, 5, 20; Lysias 14, 28; Kühner-G. I 649) EZWGRHMENOI hUP᾿ AUTOU EIS TO EKEINOU QELHMA under the spell of his will 2 Ti 2:26. EKEINOS for AUTOS Lk 9:34 v.l.; 23:12 v.l. Used to produce greater emphasis: EKEINON LABWN take that one Mt 17:27; cp. J 5:43. THi EKEINOU CARITI by his grace Tit 3:7. Sim. after a participial subj. (X., Cyr. 6, 2, 33 hO GAR LOGCHN AKONWN, EKEINOS KAI THN YUCHN TI PARAKONAi=the one who sharpens his spear, he is the one who sharpens his inner self) TO EKPOREUOMENON EKEINO KOINOI Mk 7:20. hO PEMYAS EKEINOS J 1:33; cp 5:37 v.l. (for AUTOS) hO POIHSAS ME hUGIH EKEINOS 5:11. hO LALWN EKEINOS ESTIN 9:37. hO EISERCOMENOS EKEINOS KLEPTHS ESTIN 10:1. TWi LOGIZOMENWi . . . EKEINWi KOINON Ro 14:14 al.