[B-Greek] DVORAK Polytonic Greek Keyboard Layout

John Schwandt jschwandt at nsa.edu
Sun Apr 17 11:53:39 EDT 2011

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the links and free resources.  But I do have some critical
reflections on the idea of a Greek Dvorak layout.

I wonder if a Greek Dvorak layout makes any sense.  If the whole idea of
Dvorak is to speed up typing by locating the most frequent letters in the
most convenient locations without conflicting with each other or
monopolizing one particular finger, a Greek version would have to have
different key locations than just a "phonetic version" of Dvorak.

To put it another way, Greek scrabble would not work very well using an
English scrabble set and the B-Greek typing convention for Greek.  (e.g. H
is not as common in English as it would be in Greek.  We would find
ourselves wanting more HTA's.)

Because of the lack of correspondence between the frequency of characters
between these languages.  I don't see how a Greek Dvorak keyboard would have
any advantage of efficiency over a Greek Qwerty keyboard.  I suppose an
English Dvorak user would have a better idea of the location on the Greek
Dvorak layout, but then they would be typing efficiently in English and not
efficiently in Greek, which is counter to the goal of the Dvorak system.
Still, I suppose that one could argue that at least one of the languages
allows for faster typing, which is better than neither in the Qwerty
layout.   But that creates some culturally negative implications on the
Greek side of things. (If you have read anything on postcolonialism, you
will understand what I'm pointing to.)

I guess I'm left still thinking that a Greek Dvorak keyboard at best doesn't
fulfill the goals of Dvorak layouts and at worst elevates and
institutionalizes English typing while continuing to cripple Greek typing.
I'm not against an easier Greek layout, but that certainly would not be a
phonetic version of Dvorak.

Thanks for the opportunity to think and discuss this issue.
Blessings,
John Schwandt
Senior Fellow, New Saint Andrews College