[B-Greek] Thomas Hardy, Liddell and Scott On the Completion of their Lexicon

goranson at duke.edu goranson at duke.edu
Wed Jul 25 13:06:21 EDT 2007

Quoting Mark Goodacre <goodacre at gmail.com>:

> I had a little google and can't find any source for this, but in
> looking came across this gem, "written by a Westminster schoolboy":
>
> Two men wrote a lexicon, Liddell and Scott;
> Some parts were clever, but some parts were not.
> Hear, all ye learned, and read me this riddle,
> How the wrong parts wrote Scott and the right parts wrote Liddell
>
> (cited in Kenneth F. Kitchell, Jr., "How the Wrong Parts Wrote Scott
> and the Right Parts Wrote Liddell", _The Classical Journal_, 84/1
> (Oct. - Nov., 1988): 47-52 (51-2).[....]

According to Google Books:
in Recollections of a Town Boy at Westminster, 1849-1855 By Francis Markham
(London, 1903) p.57 the poem "was recited before Liddell by Edward Waterfield,
a town boy (the man who fought with Old Slade)." After hearing it
"Liddell took
it well, gave his usual scornful sniff, and presented Waterfield with
his silver
penny...."

Stephen Goranson
http://www.duke.edu/~goranson
"..., for the whole nine yards." Admiral Emory S. Land, telling Senators about
the huge increase in shipbuilding in 1942. The literal source of the
metaphorical phrase?