[B-Greek] Traveling Alone & the death of Perseus

Elizabeth Kline kline_dekooning at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 13 11:19:30 EDT 2007

Yesterday I was having some trouble with an obscure word in
Thucydides and for the first time in months tried to access Perseus
and found out it was "down". I solved my problem without Perseus.

I wonder how many NT greek students who have been at it for a number
of years have ever tried reading some new and unfamiliar text with
nothing but a lexicon and a grammar. The first time I tried this
(decades ago) it was a terrifying experience. It really brought home
how little I new about the language.

I have ben traveling alone in the narrative of Thucydides now for
several months and find it more tolerable than traveling alone with
any of the tragic playwrights. A good commentary is still helpful
when reading tragedy.

Reading the GNT with all the electronic tools at your fingertips and
all the printed resources isn't going to tell you if you know greek.
All of these resources are great and I use them regularly but at some
point along the way it is healthy to pick up a Greek text you have
never read in your native tongue and spend some time traveling alone
with LS (intermed.), LSJ and H.W.Smyth. It certainly trims some of
the fat from your ego if nothing else.

Elizabeth Kline