[B-Greek] character test results so far

William Zeitler william at faithfulbible.com
Tue Apr 12 21:42:26 EDT 2005

>...vs. Unicode (two-byte characters from a
set of over 65,000 possibilities, including Greek characters).

Alas, it's not quite that simple. UTF-8 -- the recommended encoding method
for Unicode on this thread -- still represents the ASCII character set using
8-bit characters (one of its great virtues -- it's 'backwards compatible'
that way) and uses longer byte sequences as necessary for polytonic greek.
The unaccented greek characters are in the 'upper' ASCII character set
(128-255 -- because they are used in math, etc.) which is why those will
generally appear correctly, even in non-unicode capable browsers/email
clients/etc., even if the accented greek characters do not.

What you're describing is UTF-16. There's also UTF-32 -- a code space large
enough to represent, ultimately, every character used in every human
language past and present -- including math, etc. It's really a rather
remarkable project... see http://www.unicode.org/standard/principles.html

:-)

william zeitler