[B-Greek] Re: NT Greek words for power

Carl W. Conrad cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
Fri Apr 16 07:24:48 EDT 2004

At 6:16 AM -0400 4/16/04, Steffasong at aol.com wrote:
>Friends,
>
>Is there a way to do a search on the word "power" in the Bible?
>
>Two words, "exousia" and "dunamis" both infer power.  Exousia (John 1) talks
>about the "right" or "authority" to become children of God.  "Dunamis" is more
>of an explosive power, used in Acts 2.
>
>Do any of you know any other Greek words used to infer either kind of power,
>specificially in the NT (but if it's in the OT that would be helpful as well).
>
>Many thanks in advance.
>
>Stephanie Bennett
>ES Creative Services and Consulting
>Coral Springs, FL

May I urge respondents to Digests please to alter the subject-header to
reflect what their message actually concerns? This would surely facilitate
finding relevant items in the Archives.

If one is really serious about exploring such matters as Biblical words for
"power," there is an unquestionably best starting-place for the inquiry,
and that is Louw & Nida: (Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament Based
on Semantic Domains, Johannes P. Louw and Eugene A. Nida, Editors Copyright
1988, 1989 by the United Bible Societies, New York, NY 10023 Second
Edition). There are several entries under domain §76 "Power, Force,"
including DUNAMIS, MEGALEIOTHS, CEIR, DEXIA, BRACIWN hUYHLOS, KRATOS,
MEGALEION, EXOUSIA, DOXA, ARETH, KERAS, AQETHSIS, adjectives KRATAIOS,
ISCUROS, verbs KRATAIOOMAI, EPIKEIMAI, KUROW, PROKUROW, hISTHMI, ANAIREW,
KATALUW, AQETEW, AKUROW, PERIFRONEW, KATARGEW, KENOW--all arranged and
discussed under 27 separates subheadings. This is not the alpha and omega
for such questions, but it is unquestionably the alpha.

cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu
WWW: http://www.ioa.com/~cwconrad/