Does "If A then B mean if not B then not A" ?

Dave Reigle dlrgrk at paonline.com
Thu Jun 28 19:46:23 EDT 2001

All grammar aside, If " A implies B"  is a true statement, then, "NotB
implies NotA is also a true statement.  However we can not say that If "A
implies B" then "NotA implies NotB" is true.
To diagram the situation:
A --> B  (True)  Then
NotB --> NotA (True) [This is called the contrapositive]
B --> A (Not necessarily True) [This is called the Converse]
NotA --> NotB (Not necessarily True) [This is called the Inverse]

I hope this helps, ignore it if not.  Of the logic I'm sure, the rest?
David L. Reigle
Elizabethtown, PA