John 21 Feed my lambs

QashishaD at aol.com QashishaD at aol.com
Sun Jan 7 02:58:29 EST 2001

In a message dated 6/01/01 7:09:42 PM, phos at prodigy.net writes:

>With that background, the question becomes, what does it mean to love
>Jesus, and what does it mean to tend his lambs.  Did Jesus intend any
>semantic difference among agapao, phileo; bosko, poimano; probaton, arnion.
> Or was he just varying the language as a matter of style.

Bill, Cindy, nice thread here. I think it more accurate to ask what did John
wish to intend in these Greek semantic differences. A study of John's usage
of this style reveals contrasting images that are not so presented by the
synoptic writers. Moreover, the Syriac Gospel portrays this even to a greater
degree and have Jesus instructing "Feeds my lambs for me...feed my ewes for
me...feed my sheep for me."
Dimitri Grekoff