Overtranslating? Ign. Eph. 12.2

Bart Ehrman behrman at email.unc.edu
Wed Sep 27 10:12:43 EDT 2000

   Interesting passage in Ignatius to the Ephesians, 12.2, where the soon
to be martyr refers to the Ephesians as the road through which those who
are martyred pass: PARODOS ESTE TWN EIS QEON ANAIROUMENWN.  He goes on to
speak explicitly about Paul.

   My question is about ANAIROUMENWN.  It *could* simply refer to people
being taken up to God; but it also could refer to people being slain.  I'm
tempted to try to get both ideas in, so that rather than translating it as
"you are the passageway for those who are snatched up (or some such
thing) to God" or "you are the passageway for those who are slain for
God," I'm toying with something like "you are the passageway for those
taken up to God by their violent deaths."

   BUt maybe that's too much.  Yeah, probably is too much.  But what do
you
think?

-- Bart D. Ehrman