wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] This Week On WXYC

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: "wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org" <wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] This Week On WXYC
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2017 19:29:46 -0500

Hi all,

Here's what we have coming up this week:

Tonight's Inside Track will be the new record from SW. (aka Stefan Wust), Sued 15, the first full length LP for the label he co-runs with Sven Rieger. Wust creates subtle house filled with breakbeats and loops of organic percussion amid a sea of ambient synthesizers and shimmering cymbals. Over the course of its eleven untitled tracks, Wust explores a variety of moods and intensities, from floating explorations with the low end completely sucked out of them to driving and club-ready groovers, all while maintaining a strong atmospheric and emotional quality.

Monday's Outside Track is a victory lap for WXYC's favorite album of 2016 as voted by our DJ body: Solange's A Seat at the Table. It's an album both personal and political, discussing race and justice through the lens of her own family's history. These themes are developed through a series of psychedelic R&B instrumentals that look to the ideas and sounds of the 60's and 70's while still sounding modern and transcending homage or backwards-facing pastiche. We definitely weren't the only people who enjoyed this album, but it's for good reason that it showed up on a lot of our year-end lists. Whether you've heard it or not, Monday's a great chance to celebrate this record.