wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] this week on WXYC

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: "wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org" <wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] this week on WXYC
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 18:41:20 -0500

dear dears,
what's up?  not much? just chillin?  sounds about right.  i know i use a lot of food and/or warmth imagery in these announcement emails, but this week is as good a time as any for us to all settle in to a slow thaw from the week together, soundtracked by good ole WXYC's specialty programming:

This Friday tune in to the Inside Track at 9pm to hear the third chapter in NY-based saxophonist//genius Matana Roberts' Coin Coin series. Coin Coin is named for Marie Metoyer CoinCoin, founder of a community in the 1700s for freed [Creole] people in colonial Louisiana, and is a multi-chapter work of “panoramic sound quilting, and a “channeling of personal ancestry and the 'universal' experience of Africans in America.” River run thee tackles the otherworldly relationship between aquatic life, migration, enslavement, and Blackness. (check my favorite field of study, The Black Aquatic). How can we talk about Black Life without talking about the ocean, about rivers? Roberts has designed another plane. A look at the present through an intimate re-presentation of a watery past.

On tonight's New Science Experience we've got Beto terwilliger spinning low key bump n grind tunes from ten to midnight check it out!

This week on Hell or High Water, we will be featuring more radio broadcasts from way back when as we navigate through United States military recruitment broadcasts. Using country artists to lure young men to enlist in the Army and Navy, these military broadcasts are propaganda at its finest. Tune in to hear some really fantastic country tunes from Faron Young, Cowboy Copas, and Bobby Lord as well as some pretty humorous attempts to convince people to sign up for for service. Sunday from 1pm-2pm.

Tune in this Sunday from 2-3pm to Broken Music where we will be delving into a set of newly discovered late 70s/early 80s synthesizer improvisations from the prolific electronic experimenter Bob Ostertag. After being loaned a Serge modular synthesizer in 1977, Ostertag performed at various venues and installations for the next decade whereby he would either perform on the Serge solo or engage in some interesting collaborative works with other likeminded improvisers. Although Ostertag stopped recording with the Serge in the mid-80s and is now a Professor of Music at the University of California-Davis, Taiwanese avant-garde label Mandala Music has worked with Ostertag to create a new collection of the best of these Serge improvisations.

This week, WXYC Reports takes on the military.  Black and white thinking is the easy way out of discussing war; in this episode, the reports team takes a harder route to discussion, venturing into the ambiguities and complexities of military service, politics, and occupation. You'll hear from the experience of ex-army artist Drew Cameron, American/African foreign policy expert Yadiel Shiferaw, student veteran Michael Hart, and Abdullah Hussain, a Burmese refugee. Tune in Sunday from 5pm-6pm.

Yo! Tune in Sunday night at 9 p.m. to hear your venerable Sports Rappers post mortem the Duke game. We'll also talk about Saturday's game against Georgia Tech and look forward to the rest of UNC's season, including the all-important rematch with Duke in Chapel Hill on March 7. We'll finish up by talking about the insanity that was the NBA trade deadline this season. Please do listen in!

Kick your Monday blues into high gear with the 8th album from heavy Doom crushers Yob on the Outside Track. Circular mantras, transcendent droning feedback, and a heavy dose of stoner-infused slow psych and blues riffs are all combined in this dense epic of an album. The moody, dramatic tension is sure to prepare you to take on the rest of your week! Have fun!