wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] this week on WXYC

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: "wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org" <wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] this week on WXYC
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 21:42:30 -0500

hey everyone,
hope y'all are doing okay and planning to have peaceful weekends.  let's take a look at what's on deck for WXYC's specialty programming this week:

On tonight's New Science Experience dj SELECTOR B STEADY will be spinnin some choice 60's cumbia of Peru from ten to midnight. Expect fuzzy guitar goodness. Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

This week on Hell or High Water, we'll be playing some of the music of Kentucky born balladeer, Addie Graham! Born In Wilmore, KY in 1890, we're going deep into Appalachia to hear some of the usual suspects, some varied old-time narratives, as well as some uncommon anti-slavery tunes. Tune in from 1pm-2pm!

Sunday afternoon, Broken Music features a small selection of the recorded output of Andrew Chalk and Christoph Heemann as Mirror. Each spent time in similar minded, musically adverurous groups throughout the 1980s, Chalk in Organum and Heemann as a member of H.N.A.S. Over the short span of 1999 to 2005, the duo crafted an extensive catalog of fragile and beautiful drone works, with assistance from a varying cast of collaborators. These works blended long, sustained tones on acoustic and electronic instruments, often incorporating a bed of natural recordings underneath. Tune in at 2pm.

This week on Sports Rap, we'll spend some more time discussing Dean Smith's unmatchable legacy and talking about where the state of the program is in relation to his vision of what Carolina Basketball should be. We'll also spend some time recapping UNC's game against Pitt and, of course, previewing the game against Dook on Wednesday. Finally, we'll talk about the state of the NBA as it stands at the All-Star Break. Finally, we'll try to touch on the start of the UNC baseball season, a totally undervalued and fun part of our campus culture. Tune in Sunday night at 9 p.m.!

For this week's Outside Track get ready for a knock-down boogie-out throwback with desert garage and a late 60s vibe from the various artists compilation Best Arizona Garage Bands 1967-1970. Compiled by Hadley Murrell of the Carnations which features all-time boogie legends such as Dwayne Eddy, Dyke & The Blazers and Waylon Jennings. Listen in at 9pm and see for yourself if these studio tracks really are "as hot as the Arizona desert"!!!