wxyc-announce - [wxyc-announce] this week on WXYC

wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: "wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org" <wxyc-announce AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [wxyc-announce] this week on WXYC
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2015 20:02:41 -0500

hi there everyone,
happy february!  hope all's well.  there's a lot to look forward to in WXYC's next week of programming (including the debuts of one revived and one new specialty show - WXYC reports + sisters where!).  read on to learn more...

Hey check out the Inside Track tonight at 9 PM for an incredible new release from Tony Allen entitled Film of Life. Tony Allen is a Nigerian drummer and composer based in Paris who is a living legend of West African music.  Allen was the drummer and musical director of Fela Kuti’s Africa 70 band from 1968-1979, which comfortably establishes him as one of the progenitors of Afrobeat music. His solo career has been moving steady since the mid 80s, but really exploded in the last 20 years.  Tune in for political lyrics alongside killer call and response actions from the ensemble with huge horn sections echoing small choruses while tight rhythm sections lay down complex, polyphonic grooves.  Awesome release.

New Science Experience, WXYC's live DJ + beat-oriented music show, is at it again tonight.  Tune in if you want to get your body moving from 10-midnight.

This week on Hell or High Water, we will travel on a sonic journey through time by featuring the works of 1920s vaudeville singing phenom Esther Bigeou AS WELL AS the works of often overlooked soul screaming Ann Cole. All in all, it should be a wonderful journey through time and space as we hear from these two phenomenal women! Tune in from 1pm-2pm

Sunday afternoon, Broken Music offers a glimpse at an underdocumented period of American composer Morton Feldman's music. During the 1950s and 60s, Feldman sought in his work an opportunity to finesse forth a notation that captured the pitches he hoped to hear, while also embracing a looseness of time. His previous experiments with indeterminacy unsatisfying, these early pieces rank among Feldman's most deliberate yet experimental. One piece pairs multiple pianists, given the same score with no indication of note duration, asked instead to allow each event to decay on its own before moving to the next. Another gives the performers free reign of timing, making each performance a unique dialogue between players. In each of these new recordings, we find the players immersed in Feldman's quest to simultaneously empower and direct his performers. Our show begins at 2pm.

This week WXYC Reports is exploring Duke's Me Too Monologues. The monologues are student submissions that use personal stories to address issues of identity and student life. The Reports team is using the concept, structure, and performance of the monologues elucidate what story telling is, and how it can function between different mediums.  Tune in on Sunday from 5-6pm.

Football season is over. Which means it's time for basically nothing but basketball! This is good news. We may talk a little bit about the Super Bowl, but it was upsetting, so mostly this week's Sports Rap will be about UNC basketball, the ACC, and what's going on around the NBA as we come up on the All-Star Break. We'll tackle whether Chris Paul is a sexist (probably), the J.R. Smith renaissance, whether the Thunder are going to make the playoffs, and the dominance of the Splash Bros. Should be a fun show, so tune in at 9 pm Sunday night!

Tune into the Outside Track Monday night at 9 pm for an amazing new compilation curated by German electronic madman Felix Kubin entitled Science Fiction Park Bundesrepublik (German Home Recording Tape Music Of The 1980s).   In the 80s and early 90s there was a surprisingly rich home recording and limited run cassette culture in Germany.  This release captures a number of examples of unheard or unreleased music from this rich culture, from the suburbs of Hamburg to rural Bavaria. You could spend years theorizing what led these Germans to make such freaky, idiosyncratic recordings in their bedrooms, but we will focus on how amazing they sound.  Some of the common threads you’ll find among these recordings is a lo-fi tape aesthetic, freaky genre-bending sounds and lots of synths.  Tracks range from only slightly atypical synth pop hits to freaking noise performances made up of found percussion, squealing electronics and far out vocals.  A very cool release!

≈≈≈≈*SISTERS WHERE PREMIERE*≈≈≈≈
welcome to outer space. welcome to inner space. during our first episode we will explore the lovable world of Synastry--the astrological art of relationships. cause u know, we're on the heels of valentine's day lol. we'll do some live on-air crush analyses, talk about Carl Jung's zodiac experiments and maybe convince u to join match dot com. you can also listen in to hear a little bit about this Aquarius Sun Season and the unnecessarily infamous ~mercury in retrograde~ of course. tune in wednesday evening 9-10pm.